Mediocre Media
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On the brevity of poetry

3 posters

Go down

On the brevity of poetry Empty On the brevity of poetry

Post by Ackbard Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:23 pm

Over the past twenty years or so, in attempts to break guinness world records, usually, people have been creating these incredibly short poems, usually relying more on implication of a story, rather than the telling of a story itself. An example of this method, as written by ernest hemmingway, in what is claimed to be the worlds shortest story:

"For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn."

The use of a small amount of words, or even silence, can sometimes be used to achieve incredible affect. However, there are examples even more abstrat than this. For example, a poem that sparked a lot of controversy when it was written, which is just one word:

"Lighght"

Nope, that is not a typo. Because theres no pronunciation ever given for the word, many believe it to be symbolic for the more subjective portion in interpreting language through how it sounds.

What are your thoughts about this? Is it real poetry? What do you think is the purpose of some of these works?
Ackbard
Ackbard

Back to top Go down

On the brevity of poetry Empty Re: On the brevity of poetry

Post by Flushy Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Clearly the true purpose of these wonderful pieces of art is to make you think about Donuts.
Flushy
Flushy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Not-so-Evil Overlord Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:56 am

If you adjust the meaning of poetry you can make whatever you'd like to be poetry. I would require some form of rhythm for something to be poetry. I'll accept Haiku, poetry that just rhymes, poetry that's just rhythm. Free verse poetry I think should at least imply rhythm, even if it lacks it. The lines should be of similar length for example. I'll accept those as poetry.

However, I do not think that just having meaning is poetry. As such, that one word poem, I do not think is a poem. It has no rhythm. It doesn't matter if it has some symbolism or meaning to it. It lacks the fundamental aspect of a poem. Rhythm.
The Not-so-Evil Overlord
The Not-so-Evil Overlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum