Mediocre Media
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official discussion area for star wars episode VII

+5
MinifigDesigner
Mad King James
Jkwaffle
Tater
Ackbard
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Official discussion area for star wars episode VII Empty Official discussion area for star wars episode VII

Post by Ackbard Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Thoughts? Ideas? Theories? Complaints? Anything you gleaned from the trailer that some of us might have missed? Post it here.
Ackbard
Ackbard

Back to top Go down

Official discussion area for star wars episode VII Empty Re: Official discussion area for star wars episode VII

Post by Tater Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:59 pm

I'm intrigued to see who this Sith lord is O_o
Tater
Tater

Back to top Go down

Official discussion area for star wars episode VII Empty Re: Official discussion area for star wars episode VII

Post by Jkwaffle Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:07 pm

Other than the soccer ball droid, I thought the trailer was great. Not gonna lie, I have high hopes for these upcoming films. With the prequels, not only were their some major issues on the part of Lucas, but you also knew what was coming. it really took away from the tension that the original trilogy had going for it. But with these upcoming films, with the Expanded Universe scrapped, it's free game. Anything could happen, and it's been a long time since Star Wars has done anything to surprise me.
Jkwaffle
Jkwaffle
Admin

https://mediocremedia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ackbard Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:32 pm

Jkwaffle: We do not speak of the soccer ball droid. Razz
Ackbard
Ackbard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ackbard Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:33 pm

Zyph: I remain hoping that it's jacen solo, even though I know it isn't.
Ackbard
Ackbard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad King James Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:53 pm

I have to say I actually love the lightsaber with cross/hand guard "mini-blades," but I still hate the fact that they nulled all of the EU as canon, when really they're only messing with the post-Endor timeline...
Mad King James
Mad King James

http://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Not-so-Evil Overlord Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:46 am

I'm optimistic right now. The main thing that irked me about the trailer was the crosshilt lightsaber, but well, if the design of the lightsaber is correct, it could still work out pretty well.

All in all though, I don't really feel like I can say much, as all I have to go on is a teaser trailer. Once I get more information, I'll likely start to get far more opinionated.

Though I'm kinda sad to see some parts of the EU go, I fully understand why they did it. The EU got far too huge and unwieldy, and canning it all is the simplest solution. Even though I wish they had kept Zahn's work... And Knights of the Old Republic. (Not the MMOG though. I despise that game's story...)
The Not-so-Evil Overlord
The Not-so-Evil Overlord

Back to top Go down

Post by MinifigDesigner Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:00 pm

Wait, they canned ALL of the EU stories? I thought this was only for post original trilogy EU?
MinifigDesigner
MinifigDesigner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad King James Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:48 pm

@JJ: Why does everybody complain about the broadsword 'saber? I think it represents a whole new realm of fighting styles and capabilities with what's usually just a basic thing you make pretty light shows with. Yes the Forms are complexities in and of themselves, but if this guy fights with his weapon like a broadsword I think it could be cool.

@MD: Yep, all of it got canned. If you look at Wookieepedia now there will be "Legends" and "Canon" articles. The only official canon now is the stuff you can see on TV - the movies, The Clone Wars (CGI series from Cartoon Network), and Rebels (which looks to be the lousiest show I've seen in a while and the story is just a rip-off from one of the EU book series from that time period).

In general, I have to say I'm rather disappointed/concerned that they're using the same actors from Hope, Empire, and Jedi. I love all of them of course, but it's been almost forty years since the first movie - they look nothing like they did back then, and we've already seen that it's not the best for their health when Ford broke his ankle on set.
I'm also wary of J.J. Abrams being the director. From what I've heard talking with Star Trek fans, he tends to flip off any kind of already-developed story line and do whatever he wants.
Kind of like what that moron Dave Filoni did with the Mendalorians. Yes, I know it's not spelled properly, for two reasons:
1. It's how he pronounces it (and how it was pronounced by those Death Watch *insert expletive*), which is wrong.
2. They aren't Mandalorians. His interpretation is just...ridiculous - it produced Sabine, who is apparently able to be seen as a Mendalorian in Filoni's eyes.

But I digress. While Rebels turned out to be crap, I'm still holding out hope that the new trilogy won't be another Prequel Trilogy disaster. I'm trying to look at them like the Daniel Craig Bond movies. They're good movies, but they aren't Bond movies. Same universe and all, but so different as to be entirely independent from the originals with actors like Sean Connery and Roger Moore.
Mad King James
Mad King James

Back to top Go down

Post by GyrTaluk Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:31 pm

The Guy wrote:I'm also wary of J.J. Abrams being the director. From what I've heard talking with Star Trek fans, he tends to flip off any kind of already-developed story line and do whatever he wants.

It's true he went in a different direction with Star Trek than some say he should have. But the route he did take was a lot more in the vein of a Star Wars film than a Trek. I think he's qualified to make a decent Star Wars film. That being said, I still have my doubts.

About Rebels: I've watched an episode or two of it and actually enjoyed it a little. Yeah, there are elements here and there that bug me, but it's vastly better than Clone Wars.
GyrTaluk
GyrTaluk

Location : On the Kangaroo Island of Sodor in The House of Cards

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tango7/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Not-so-Evil Overlord Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:32 pm

@ARC: The complaint I have with it is solely the fact that it's worthless. That crosspiece can't protect the hand very well at all. Anything the crosspiece is likely to protect against will be a blow close to the hand, and there's nothing there to stop it. And then, the guy isn't using it with his finger over the crosspiece, or anything like that, so any other purposes for the crosspiece are lost. As such, I see no purpose for the crosspiece, and it could get in the way slightly. That's my complaint about it. Even if the guy fights with it differently, the crosspiece does not aid him in any way.

Huh. I actually have been enjoying Rebels. Predominately because of the characters. There have definitely been a few bits which have annoyed me greatly, but, well, I've liked the characters enough to get over them. Of course, it likely helps that I haven't read said EU that its ripping off...
Actually, from a couple of bits, I've found things which imply to me that Sabine, though a Mandalorian by descent, is not a Mandalorian. She makes a reference to having been in an Imperial academy on Mandalore. So, I'd make the guess that she was never allowed to be properly trained as a Mandalorian. But yes. Filoni definitely does not understand the Mandalorians. I will not argue with you there.
The Not-so-Evil Overlord
The Not-so-Evil Overlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad King James Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:27 am

@ Gyr: To each their own, then.

@ JJ:
I won't argue it seems useless. But then, so do a lot of things involving the hokey-pokey Force. Razz

As for Rebels, I can't make myself watch it since I did read the EU it's ripping off, and since I enjoyed The Clone Wars and its superior quality of animation (not necessarily writing) I doubt I'd be able to enjoy Rebels.
Here's the thing, though: you aren't "born Mandalorian." You might be born to Mandalorian parents, or on the planet Mandalore, but it's adaptive/adoptive culture. If she wasn't trained as one but went to some BS "Imperial academy" and yet still wears that bastardization of beskar'gam, if anything she seems more of an aruetii than anything else.

And no, I did not swear in there. It's an actual term, thank you.
Mad King James
Mad King James

Back to top Go down

Post by Ackbard Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:04 am

@all

Truth be told, Ive kind of just avoided rebels completely, so Im not exactly qualified to give my opinion on it.

However, in this case, I have to agree with JJS about the lightsaber cross handle. It seems more like a gimmick than anything, and unless they do actually have the user employ a broadsword-esque style, then I don't truthfully see much point to it.

Ackbard
Ackbard

Back to top Go down

Post by Jkwaffle Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:13 am

The thing is, not all gimmicks have to be a bad thing. Darth Maul with his duel-bladed lightsaber, while it was an obvious gimmick, he was still probably the coolest thing in The Phantom Menace. If they come up with some clever uses or a new fighting style to go with the new lightsaber, I think it could end up being a really cool idea.
Jkwaffle
Jkwaffle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Not-so-Evil Overlord Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:35 pm

@ARC: I won't argue with you on the Mandalorian point. The fact that Mandalorian is a culture, not just some people is a fact that many people seem to forget... And well, yeah... Filoni does not understand Mandalorians. Seriously, the guy should play KotOR. That thing made me LOVE real Mandalorians. (I normally don't display that, since, well, it's become a fad now...)

@All: That is true. Rule of Cool applies very heavily to Star Wars, and quite frankly, I should likely not try to analyze such things, and just let myself be an unthinking consumer going "THIS STUFF IS AWESOME!" I can go back and say "wait, that doesn't make sense" AFTER I love it. XD
The Not-so-Evil Overlord
The Not-so-Evil Overlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad King James Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:54 pm

The Not-so-Evil Overlord wrote:@ARC: I won't argue with you on the Mandalorian point. The fact that Mandalorian is a culture, not just some people is a fact that many people seem to forget... And well, yeah... Filoni does not understand Mandalorians. Seriously, the guy should play KotOR. That thing made me LOVE real Mandalorians. (I normally don't display that, since, well, it's become a fad now...)

Loving Mandalorians, or KotOR? Razz

You want to not be part of a fad? Join The Royal Manticoran Navy. Turns out the Honor Harrington series has an official fan association. You're looking at a Spacer 3c/Private in the RMN/RMMC
Mad King James
Mad King James

Back to top Go down

Post by The Not-so-Evil Overlord Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:26 pm

Heh. Loving Mandalorians.

... Okay, that is definitely hilarious... However, I wouldn't be able to join, as I've only read one book in the Honorverse, and not one of the normal ones. I might read more at some point though.
The Not-so-Evil Overlord
The Not-so-Evil Overlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad King James Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:31 pm

How is it hilarious? Also, you don't have to read the books to join - I mean it'd certainly help, but it's not a requirement to have read all of them even if a large minority of us have like me.
Mad King James
Mad King James

Back to top Go down

Post by Ackbard Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:13 pm

So, the new star wars trailer came out. I will say right now that the new trailer makes me much more excited for the new movie than the first trailer did. Check it out here: [url=http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/16/entertainment/feat-star-wars-force-awakens-trailer/index.html]
Ackbard
Ackbard

Back to top Go down

Post by GyrTaluk Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Ackbard wrote:So, the new star wars trailer came out. I will say right now that the new trailer makes me much more excited for the new movie than the first trailer did. Check it out here: [url=http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/16/entertainment/feat-star-wars-force-awakens-trailer/index.html]

Agreed, my excite is piqued.
GyrTaluk
GyrTaluk

Location : On the Kangaroo Island of Sodor in The House of Cards

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tango7/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rox in Sox Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Yeah, this trailer made me feel a lot more optimistic towards the movie.

I'm hyped. Razz
Rox in Sox
Rox in Sox

http://steamcommunity.com/id/gotta-get-a-grip/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rox in Sox Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:11 pm

Well it's finally here, everyone. And unfortunately I have been spoiled. But I'm not too upset about that, although one of my friends is about the movie itself.

But what do you guys think about it? Did you love it? Did you hate it? Did we all get hyped up for nothing?

Notice for honorable posters: remember to use spoiler tags when spoilers are due.

Code:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Dishonor will be dealt with immediately.
Rox in Sox
Rox in Sox

Back to top Go down

Post by Jkwaffle Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:06 pm

I saw it opening day, it was pretty great. You guys should definitely watch it.
Jkwaffle
Jkwaffle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rox in Sox Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:21 am

Spoiler:
Rox in Sox
Rox in Sox

Back to top Go down

Post by Jkwaffle Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:10 pm

Spoiler:
Jkwaffle
Jkwaffle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next